Saturday, October 31, 2020

A Daily Dose of God


 

 

 

Christians are Optimists who are guided by Hope

 

We Christians are Optimists because our HOPE is Jesus Christ!  We are on this earth for a limited amount of time.  Therefore, we should Use that time wisely!

The movie Brian’s Song, (about Brian Piccolo & Gale Sayers), begins with a voice saying, “Every true story ends in death.  This is a true story.”  Every true story ends in death, except the story of Jesus Christ – He dies BUT He rises!

Today take some time to “… to talk to the Lord about life and death.” (Little Black Book) Remember you are on a journey and heaven is your destination.

Bob Simpson a retired Lutheran pastor was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.  Starting in 1995 and over a four-year-period, Bob and his wife, Anne, wrote about their life with Alzheimer's in the book, Through the Wilderness of Alzheimer's: A Guide in Two Voices.  

 

 

The wilderness is the central image of their life with this devastating illness.  Anne wrote:  "The process of watching my beloved husband deteriorate is painful, lonely, and immensely sad.  I cannot deny it; I have spells of depression and self-pity. 

I have days when I am so frustrated that I go into the garage and sit in the car with all the windows rolled up, so I can scream without being overheard.  I can see the losses, the bad side, the half-empty glass." 

Bob wrote, "I have good days now.  If I think about the past, I get sad.  If I think about the future, I'm scared.  I only have the present.  Today is the only day I have to live." 

This experience tested their love, it has also deepened it.  "I'm not angry with God," Bob wrote.  "I believe God is here, somewhere.  There is a purpose."  Anne wrote, “We cannot determine our pace or our final destination; we cannot make straight the path. We trust God to guide us ….” 

Our crosses those are the unknown or terrifying places where we struggle to make our way still searching for answers; sometimes even still trying to articulate the questions.

But the desert of our hearts – the silent place where God speaks to us of possibility and transformation, there God wants us to be with Him in humility and hope. (Connections, 02/21/10)

Today let’s work to accept our crosses and with FAITH and TRUST let’s go to Jesus to ask for forgiveness from our sins & strength to carry our crosses with grace and dignity.

Allow God’s grace to transform you, allow God’s Love to purify you and allow God’s mercy to fashion you.  Adopt as your goal in life to “Be who we are and be that well.”  

(de Sales).   Remembering, always, you are a child of God.

 

May God Be Praised!

COVID 19 Pandemic Prayer

Hear my cry!  “Lord, listen to my prayer: turn your ear to my appeal.”  You are my refuge and my hope, I turn to you during this COVID 19 Pandemic and plead for Your intercession.  In Your mercy and Your compassion “… grant eternal rest to the dead, comfort to mourners, healing to the sick ….” [Psalm 143 and Collect from Mass Time in Pandemic]

Provide strength to the first responders, compassion to the medical personnel, and wisdom to government leaders.  End this coronavirus scourge.  Send Your light to me as I wander in the darkness of this pandemic and give me hope in Your eternal love today and every day.  Amen.  [Dcn. George Kelly

 

 

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment