Sunday, October 18, 2020

A Daily Dose of God

 

Homily Cycle A 10/18/2020 [29th Sunday]

Readings: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/101820.cfm

 

“The Lord is king over all the earth.”  [Psalm 96]  In today’s Gospel we heard, “the coin bears Caesar’s image” and so we owe our government obedience to its just laws and to promote the common good.  Most importantly, our Scriptures teach us that we are made in God’s image and likeness and that the Lord is our king.

 

The prophet Isaiah tells the Israelites and us, “… there is no other, there is no God ….” beside the Lord our God.  And, in our Responsorial Psalm we prayed, the Lord is “awesome”, all creation emanates from God.

 

St. Paul encourages us to give thanks to God constantly.  He wanted the Thessalonians and he wants us to allow the Holy Spirit to permeate our being and guide our life.  In last week’s Gospel the King’s Wedding Feast reminded us that we should prepare for eternity by living the Gospel message now.

 

And, our Alleluia verse urges us to, “Shine like lights in the world as you hold on to the Word of life.”  We are to shine the light of Christ in the darkness of our world.

 

 

 

 

There is an ancient [4th century B.C.]  proverb that goes something like this, “the enemy of my enemy is my friend.”  [Gabriel Manigault in 1884 is the 1st recorded use of the phrase] 

In the Gospel, the Pharisees and the Herodians despite being bitter enemies, join together to try and trap Jesus.  Jesus wisely teaches His provocateurs that they are to follow Him, not challenge Him.  He teaches them to give Caesar his due [his taxes], BUT give heart, soul, will, and life to God.

 

A long time ago, I taught history at Becahi, and when I taught, I would often ask my students Why & What questions.  Why is this important?  What did you mean by that?  “Good teachers use good questions to engage their students in thinking and learning….  In today's Gospel, Jesus reveals himself as a master teacher….  Jesus invites the Pharisees, and us, to put first things first.  [CNS Sunday Scripture reading by Sullivan is a professor at The Catholic University of America]

 

The second part of Jesus response is the greatest challenge we face, “… the

Importance of giving to God what belongs to God.”  [America Magazine, The Word, 10/18/2020]

Our Gospel reminds us to live our lives for the Lord and offer our actions to the Lord.  When we honestly look at things, we realize everything belongs to God.

 

Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI wrote, “Being Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, who gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction.”  [America Magazine, 10/09/2020]

    

Give to God what belongs to God, BUT What is that?

 

1.    Accepting that we were created by God in God’s image and likeness, we are God’s children.

 

2.    Remembering what the Prophet Isaiah told us [in chapter 4:6],

“I have called you by name, giving you a title,

though you know me not.

I am the Lord and there is no other,

there is no God besides me.

 

It is I who arm you, though you know me not,

so that toward the rising and the setting of the sun people may know that there is none beside me.”

 

3.    As disciples of Jesus Christ we are to make Him known by the lives we live.

 

Take a few minutes to think about the witness you are living as a disciple of Jesus Christ.

 

May God Be Praised!

 

 

COVID 19 Pandemic Prayer

 

Hear my cry!  “Lord, listen to my prayer: turn your ear to my appeal.”  You are my refuge and my hope, I turn to you during this COVID 19 Pandemic and plead for Your intercession.  In Your mercy and Your compassion “… grant eternal rest to the dead, comfort to mourners, healing to the sick ….”

[Psalm 143 and Collect from Mass Time in Pandemic]

 

Provide strength to the first responders, compassion to the medical personnel, and wisdom to government leaders.  End this coronavirus scourge.  Send Your light to me as I wander in the darkness of this pandemic and give me hope in Your eternal love today and every day.  Amen.  [Dcn. George Kelly]

 

 

 

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment