Tuesday, October 13, 2020

A Daily Dose of God

Today spend some time reflecting of offering forgiveness and accepting forgiveness if offered to you.  Mother Angelica said, "You can't go to heaven hating somebody. Forgive now. Be compassionate now. Be patient now. Be grateful now. Love Jesus and Mary now. Accept God's will now."

 

When, the former President, Bill Clinton met Nelson Mandela for the first time, he asked: "When you were released from prison, as you marched from the cellblock across the yard to the gate of the prison, the camera focused in on your face.  

 


 

 

I have never seen such anger, and even hatred, … as was expressed on your face at that time.  That's not the Nelson Mandela I know today, what was that about?"


Mandela answered, "I'm surprised that you saw that & I regret that the cameras caught my anger.  As I walked across the courtyard that day, I thought to myself,

‘They've taken everything from you that matters.  Your cause is dead.  Your family is gone.  Your friends have been killed.  Now they're releasing you, but there's nothing left for you out there.' and I hated them for what they had taken from me. 

 

 

 

 
Then, I sensed an inner voice saying to me, ‘Nelson! For twenty-seven years you were their prisoner, but you were always a free man!  Don't allow them to make you into a free man, only to turn you into their prisoner!'"  You can never be free to be a whole person if you are unable to forgive.  (King Duncan, Collected Sermons, 09/04/11)

Forgiveness does not occur easily or quickly.  When Jesus told us to turn the other cheek, He wasn’t calling us to get hit again – He was calling us to find a way to re-claim our dignity.  Jesus wants us to hold onto our dignity as people crated by God, while we forgive our transgressors.

Forgiveness is the currency of heaven.  It doesn't bring reconciliation immediately…. it begins the healing. Christ calls us to create within our families & communities an environment in which forgiveness is joyfully offered & humbly but confidently sought. (Connections 09/11/11)  

 

Reflect on how do you forgive and offer mercy?

 

May God Be Praised!

 

COVID 19 Pandemic Prayer

 

Hear my cry!  “Lord, listen to my prayer: turn your ear to my appeal.”  You are my refuge and my hope, I turn to you during this COVID 19 Pandemic and plead for Your intercession.  In Your mercy and Your compassion “… grant eternal rest to the dead, comfort to mourners, healing to the sick ….”

[Psalm 143 and Collect from Mass Time in Pandemic]

 

Provide strength to the first responders, compassion to the medical personnel, and wisdom to government leaders.  End this coronavirus scourge.  Send Your light to me as I wander in the darkness of this pandemic and give me hope in Your eternal love today and every day.  Amen.  [Dcn. George Kelly]

 

 

 


 





2 comments: