Sunday, March 1, 2020


 



Homily Cycle A 03-01-2020





My Mom (more times) than I care to count corrected me by saying, “Son, you are not the center of the universe.”  Cosmologists tell us today that the universe has no center; my Mom anticipated that discovery because she sometimes reprimanded this way, “Young man the world doesn’t revolve around you.”

She, of course, was correct our focus should be on God and not on self.  On Ash Wednesday many of us received ashes with the reminder, “Remember, you are dust, and to dust you will return.”

Lent provides us an opportunity to review our lives, our priorities; how we are living as Christians.  Think about what is MOST important in your life, why is it most important and should it be?

In our 1st reading we are reminded that God made us, and we are responsible for our actions, for what we say, for what we do and for how we live our life.

St. Paul tells us that the gift of grace is given so we can learn that Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah, Jesus is TRUE MAN and TRUE GOD.
In our Gospel Matthew tells us about Jesus’ 40 days in prayer and fasting in the desert.  Matthew reminds us that we should take a seriously our journey here on earth.



What changes can we begin during Lent that we help us be better people and better disciples; changes that will become part of us after Lent?  Jesus’ temptations focused on three areas: food, honor and power.
Take some time during Lent to think about the areas in your life where temptations appear and recognize that with God’s grace you can avoid sinning in those areas.

Comic with two Monks, “Fasting doesn’t mean fast food.” [below]






Who is God in my life?

Is God – God?

Or am I God?

We live in a me first culture; my Mom was counter-cultural many years ago, when she said to me, “Young man the world doesn’t revolve around you.”  Our lives should revolve around, and center on Jesus Christ.

Maybe this “Peanut’s” comic can help us, Marcie called Charlie Brown: "Guess what, Chuck...the first day of school, and I got sent to the principal's office.

It was your fault, Chuck."

"My fault?" Charlie Brown replies surprised.
"How could it be MY fault?
Why do you always say everything is MY fault!"

"You're my friend, aren't you, Chuck?  You should have been a better influence on me!"  [Sermons, David E. Leininger, Collected Sermons, ChristianGlobe Networks, Inc].

What kind of influence are you on your family, your friends and the people you meet?

Could you reflect the Gospel values more clearly and more fully?

Listen to this poem by the Scottish poet and minister John Philip Newell,
“In the morning light, O God,
may I glimpse again your image deep within me
the threads of eternal glory
woven into the fabric of every man and woman.

Again may I catch sight of the mystery of the human soul
fashioned in your likeness
deeper than knowing
more enduring than time.

And in glimpsing these threads of light
amidst the weakness and distortions of my life
let me be recalled
to the strength and beauty deep in my soul.

Let me be recalled
to the strength and beauty of your image in every living soul.”
[From Celtic Christian Spirituality: Essential Writings]


For a few minutes, in silence, resolve to be a better you, so Christ’s light shines more clearly through you.

May God Be Praised!









No comments:

Post a Comment