Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Prayer & Trust

 

 

Offering a reflection on the Good Shepherd, Benedict XVI [in 2011] underlined the relationship between prayer and "a radical act of trust."

 

Reflecting on Psalm 23 he said, "turning to Lord in prayer involves a radical act of trust, in the awareness that one is entrusting oneself to God who is good …. [it] “… is wholly imbued with trust, in which the psalmist expresses the serene certainty that he is guided and protected, and kept safe from every danger, because the Lord is his shepherd…. The image evokes an atmosphere of confidence, intimacy and tenderness: the shepherd knows his young sheep one by one; he calls them by name and they follow him, because they know him and they trust him.”

Benedict XVI said that if one walks behind the "Good Shepherd," even if he is led

through "winding or long the paths" or "spiritually desert regions, waterless and

with a sun of scorching rationalism," one can be assured of "traveling along

'right' paths …. You are with me: this is our certainty, this is what sustains us.”

 

Thomas Merton offers us a precious insight into praying with the Lord, and trusting the Lord, The Merton Prayer:

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. 

            I do not see the road ahead of me. 

            I cannot know for certain where it will end. 

            

 Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will

            does not mean that I am actually doing so. 

             

But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact   please you. 

            

And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. 

             

I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. 

             

And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. 

            

Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. 

             

I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.”   [Thoughts in Solitude by Thomas Merton]

 

Trusting in the Lord is a BIG LEAP of FAITH, but it is worth it.   TRUST in the one who created you, Who loves you and longs to be with you.

 

St. Joseph pray for us. 

St. Andre Bessette intercede for us. 

May God Be Praised.  





No comments:

Post a Comment