Sunday, June 13, 2021

God Calls Us to Holiness


 

 

In Matthew’s Gospel, Jesus tells us how we will be judged 25: 31 – 46.  The way we live, our words but more importantly our actions, presents Jesus to the world or casts “doubt” on Christianity.  Christianity is hard work, hard work filled with joy but, hard work nonetheless.

 

 

Josh Groban sang a beautiful song, You Raise Me Up

“You raise me up…to more than I can be.”

When I am down, and oh my soul, so weary.

When troubles come and my heart burdened be.

Then, I am still and wait here in the silence.

Until you come and sit a while with me.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains.

You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas.

I am strong, when I am on your shoulders.

You raise me up…to more than I can be.

You raise me up…to more than I can be.”

 

Really God raises us up to be all that we can be, children made in God’s image and likeness.  Think about the disciples on the Road to Emmaus “…were not our hearts burning…”, their hearts burned with love for Jesus, Lord and Savior.  In his 1st Encyclical “Deus Caritas Est”, [God Is Love] Benedict XVI quoted the 1st Letter of St. Peter, “As he who called you is holy, be holy yourselves in all your conduct, for it is written, ‘Be holy because I [am] holy.’”  [1 Peter 1:15] 

 

Francis Thompson offers us this profound insight, “To most, even good people, God is a belief. To the saints God is an embrace.”  We pray not so much to God, as inside God, Who is Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  Today reflect on your call to Holiness and allow God’s embrace to guide you.

 

St. Joseph pray for us. 

St. Andre Bessette intercede for us. 

May God Be Praised!  

 





No comments:

Post a Comment