Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Blog Post 1/31/2023 – Suffering is an Enigma


 

 

Suffering is an Enigma

 

Suffering is beyond our understanding so we can only bless it by how we deal with it.

 

Upon first reading about Job, we (I) would not be inclined to rush out and invite him for a meal.  Job said, “Is not man’s live on earth a drudgery?”  “I shall not see happiness again.”  If today, you found out that you were going to lose all of your material possessions.     

That is some of what Job lost and part of the reason for his gloom.  Job lost important parts of his life: his children and friends.  So today I want you to reflect on suffering! 

 

Suffering is a profoundly difficult human problem to deal with, to comprehend!

 

Why is there suffering if God is all loving, all good & all-powerful?

 

Why does anyone suffer?

 

Why does God permit suffering?

 

Well, I don’t know!  We will not fully understand the why of suffering until we arrive at our eternal reward.  Eugene Kennedy said, “Heartbreak is impossible unless there is great love.  Without love, sorrow & tears would disappear.”

 

But Why?  I do not know, but I do know that our loving God and Creator sent us His Son, who showed us how to handle suffering.

 

When Jesus suffered, He offered His suffering to God the Father Who blessed it and anointed with the Holy Spirit and good came from it.  We are called to do the same and trust me it is not easy.

 

Bishop Barron shared this insight, during the storm, Jesus’ disciples cried out to the Lord in desperation: "Lord, save us! We are perishing!"   This is a de profundis prayer. 

A prayer that  comes from Psalm 130: "Out of the depths, I have cried to you, O Lord. O Lord, be attentive to the voice of my pleading."  It is the prayer offered at the darkest times of life when we feel utterly incapable of helping ourselves.

 

When we suffer or when one of our loved ones suffers, cry out to the Lord, "Lord, save us! We are perishing!"  "Out of the depths, I have cried to you, O Lord. O Lord, be attentive to the voice of my pleading."  may we experience the Lord’s healing.

 

May God Be Praised!

 

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment