Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Blog Post – 1/17/2023 Martin Luther King, Jr.

 

Additional Reflection on Martin Luther King, Jr.

Two months before his assassination Martin Luther King Jr spoke to his congregation at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta about his death in what would oddly enough become his eulogy.
"Every now & then I think about my own death, & I think about my own funeral, if any of you are around when I have to meet my day, I don’t want a long funeral.  And if you get somebody to deliver the eulogy, tell them not to talk too long.                                

Every now & then I wonder what I want them to say.  Tell them not to mention that I have a Nobel Peace Prize, that isn’t important.  Tell them not to mention that I have three or four hundred other awards, that’s not important.                                            

I’d like someone to mention that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to give his life serving others.  I’d like someone to say that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to love somebody.  I want you to be able to say that day that I did try to feed the hungry.  I want you to be able to say that day that I did try … to clothe those who were naked.  I want you to be able to say that I did try to visit those in prison.     I want you to say that I tried to love & serve humanity."  He concluded with these words:   "I won’t have any money left behind.  I won’t have the fine & luxurious things of life to leave behind.  But I just want to leave a committed life behind."

Today is a reminder to re-kindle the spirit of Christ in our hearts, our souls and in our actions.

Today it is worth spending some time reflecting on what our own eulogy will be.

May God Be Praised.

*The image is available at the Salesian Shop https://www.salesianshop.com/the-sacred-artwork-of-bro-mickey-mcgrath/

 

                                   

 





No comments:

Post a Comment