Monday, March 7, 2022

Blog Post - Lenten Journey - 3/07/2022

Our Lenten Journey - 3/07/2022

The parable of the murderous tenants: “ . . . the Kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people that will produce its fruit.”  According to a Native American legend, the chief of a certain tribe lay dying. He called his three sons to him.

“My sons, I am dying. Soon one of you will succeed me as chief. I want each of you to climb our ancestors’ holy mountain and bring back something beautiful. The one whose gift is most precious will become chief.”  Several days later the three returned from their journeys.  The first brought back a flower that was extremely rare and beautiful.  The second son brought back a stone of precious gold.

But the third son said, “Father, I have brought nothing back. As I stood at the top of the holy mountain, I saw that on the other side was a land of fertile green pastures and crystal waters. I could imagine our people settling there and establishing a better life. I was so taken by what I saw that I had to return here before I could find something to bring back.”  The old chief smiled and said to his third son, “You will be our chief for you have brought us the gift of a vision for a better future.”

God has given us a wonderful “vineyard” that we often take for granted, that we mar and destroy by our ignorance, greed and intolerance. Christ, the Son of the vineyard owner, comes with a new vision for the vineyard we only “lease” from his Father: a vision of love rather than desire, of peace rather than hostility, of forgiveness rather than vengeance.

May we welcome Christ into this vineyard of ours, aware that he calls us to the demanding conversion of the Gospel but determined to sow and reap the blessings of God’s reign.

O Lord of the vineyard, you gave us this earth as a place of peace to seek you and grow in your love. By your grace that enables us to do what we don’t think we can do, by your wisdom that shows us the way through the most treacherous passes, by your light that illuminates the darkest places, may we transform the villages and vineyards you have given us into places where your justice abounds and your peace reigns.

 

Our Lady of Perpetual Help, intercede for us.

St. Irenaeus, ask God to help Ukrainians.

May God Be Praised and your day be Blessed.

May God’s love for you become more apparent this Lent and may your love for God grow ever deeper this Lent.  Allow St. Brendan’s advice to guide you this Lent, "Help me to journey beyond the familiar and into the unknown. Give me the faith to leave old ways and break fresh ground with You."

 





No comments:

Post a Comment