Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Blog Post 2/09/2022 - Suffering

Suffering

 

Suffering is beyond our understanding so we can only bless it by offering it up or curse it and allow it to weigh us down.

 

When we read about Job, our first inclination is not to rush out and invite him to join us at a meal.  Remember Job said, “Is not life on earth a drudgery?”  “I shall not see happiness again.” 

If today you found out that you were going to lose all of your material possessions, what do you think you would do?  That is some of what Job lost and part of the reason for his gloom.

 

Beyond his possessions Job lost the more important parts of his life: his children and friends.  Today, reflect on suffering!  Suffering is a profoundly difficult human problem to deal with, to comprehend!

 

Why is there suffering if God is all loving, all good and all-powerful?

 

Why does anyone suffer?

 

Why does God permit suffering?

 

Well, I don’t know!

 

In Psalm 102 we pray, “O Lord, listen to my prayer and let my cry for help reach you.

Do not hide your face from me in the day of my distress.  Turn your ear towards me and answer me quickly when I call.”

 

God’s quick response and my idea of a quick response are sometimes very different.  You and I will not fully understand the why of suffering until we arrive in “the land of the living”, our eternal reward.  Our loving God and Creator sent us His Son, who showed us how to live, how to handle suffering.  When Jesus suffered, He offered His suffering to God the Father, and it was anointed by the Holy Spirit.

 

You and I are called to do the same and as you well know, it is not easy.

Cry out with Psalm 130: "Out of the depths, I have cried to you, O Lord. O Lord, be attentive to the voice of my pleading."  Trust that the Lord hears you and is with you.

 

Our Lady of Perpetual Help, pray for us.

St. Francis de Sales, pray for us.

May God Be Praised and your day be Blessed.

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment