Wednesday, May 5, 2021

The Gift of Joy

  

 

True JOY is found in being a disciple of Jesus Christ with all you heart, with all your soul and with all your mind.

 

 

 

 

  

Thomas Merton’s Prayer:

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.

I do not see the road ahead of me.

I cannot know for certain where it will end.

Nor do I really know myself, & the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.

And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.

I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.

And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.

I will not fear, for you are ever with me, & you will never leave me to face my perils alone.” (Merton-Thoughts in Solitude, p. 81)

 

The fruits of the Holy Spirit are charity, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, generosity, gentleness, faithfulness, modesty, self-control, & chastity.  [CCC 1832]

 

 

 

Pope Francis reflected on Christian joy … is a gift from God.  The Pope likened this joy given by God to the joy of a mother embracing her baby after childbirth, because it is a joy “purified” by the suffering of labor. 

 

 

The joy of the Christians … is a “joy in hope”.  Joy is the natural reaction to the work of God, whether promised or fulfilled.  Joy expresses God's kingdom—His influence on earth. (Romans 14:17)   The Spirit’s production of JOY can manifested in several different ways.

 

The Spirit’s production of joy can manifest in several different ways read the story of Franz Welser-Most.  It is told in Martin Werlen, OSB’s Embers in the Ashes, on pages 1 and 2, the book is available through Paulist Press: http://www.paulistpress.com/Products/8-330-5/embers-in-the-ashes.aspx.

Another version of Franz Welser-Most’s story is recounted here:

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/franz-welser-m%C3%B6st-mn0000690837/biography

 

“May you find in the ashes of your suffering the strength to pray for God’s grace to find God’s joy and share it, that is what Jesus’ DID!”

 

St. Joseph, pray for us.

Saint Andre Bessette intercede for us.

May God Be Praised!

 






2 comments: