Thursday, May 13, 2021

Life During the Pandemic

 


Pandemic Praying

 

A Despairing Lament [Psalm 88], Yet Hope In God [psalm 23] and the Gospel of John [14:1-14]

 

“I Lord, the God of my salvation, I call out by day;

    at night I cry aloud in your presence.

 Let my prayer come before you;

    incline your ear to my cry.

 

For my soul is filled with troubles;

    my life draws near to Sheol.

 I am reckoned with those who go down to the pit;

    I am like a warrior without strength.

 

My couch is among the dead,

    like the slain who lie in the grave.

You remember them no more;

    they are cut off from your influence.

 

You plunge me into the bottom of the pit,

    into the darkness of the abyss.

 Your wrath lies heavy upon me;

    all your waves crash over me.

 

Because of you my acquaintances shun me;

    you make me loathsome to them;

Caged in, I cannot escape;

 my eyes grow dim from trouble.

 

All day I call on you, Lord;

    I stretch out my hands to you.

 Do you work wonders for the dead?

    Do the shades arise and praise you?

 

Is your mercy proclaimed in the grave,

    your faithfulness among those who have perished?

Are your marvels declared in the darkness,

    your righteous deeds in the land of oblivion?

 

But I cry out to you, Lord;

    in the morning my prayer comes before you.

Why do you reject my soul, Lord,

    and hide your face from me?

 

 

I have been mortally afflicted since youth;

I have borne your terrors and I am made numb.

Your wrath has swept over me;

    your terrors have destroyed me.

 

All day they surge round like a flood;

    from every side they encircle me.

Because of you friend and neighbor shun me;

    my only friend is darkness.”

 

My Hope is in the Lord

 

“The LORD is my shepherd; there is nothing I lack.

In green pastures he makes me lie down; to still waters he leads me; he restores my soul.

 

He guides me along right paths for the sake of his name.  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me;

your rod and your staff comfort me.

 

You set a table before me in front of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil;

my cup overflows. Indeed, goodness and mercy will pursue me all the days of my life; I will dwell in the house of the LORD for endless days.”

 

The Lord is Ever with Me

 

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me.

In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If there were not, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am you also may be.

 

Where I am going you know the way.  Thomas said to him, “Master, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?”

 

Jesus said to him, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.  If you know me, then you will also know my Father. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”

 

Philip said to him, “Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.

Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you for so long a time, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on my own. The Father who dwells in me is doing his works.  Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else, believe because of the works themselves.

 

Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father.  And whatever you ask in my name, I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

If you ask anything of me in my name, I will do it.”

 

St. Joseph, pray for us.

Saint Andre Bessette intercede for us.

May God Be Praised!

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment