Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Praying

  

 

We few thoughts on Praying.

 

1  Mary Oliver’s poem “Praying”

 

“It doesn’t have to be

the blue iris, it could be

weeds in a vacant lot, or a few

small stones; just

pay attention, then patch

 

a few words together and don’t try

to make them elaborate, this isn’t

a contest but the doorway

 

into thanks, and a silence in which

another voice may speak.”

[Mary Oliver’s poem “Praying” from her book of poems, Thirst]

 

2.    Jon Nilson wrote, “Before he died in November 2013, friends of John S. Dunne, C.S.C., gathered around his bedside. With him and for him, we prayed in words that he had composed for himself….”

 

“O Lord, go with me And be my guide, In my most need Be by my side:

If you are guiding me

I shall not want,

If you are guarding me

I shall not fear,

Though I am walking

In the valley of the shadow Of my dying,

You are walking with me, And when I am not

You will have taken me.”

 

3.    Dr. Eli Lizorkin-Eyzenberg wrote about what “prayer” means in Hebrew.  She wrote that “The Jewish concept of prayer … is best defined by its Hebrew word ‘tfilah’ …. In Jewish Hassidic tradition tfilia is understood to be an introspection that results in bonding between the creature and the Creator, as a child would bond with his/her father.”

 

We can pray any time, so today thank God for the gift of Prayer, by praying.  Prayer is the best way for us to know, love and serve God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

 

 

 

St. Joseph pray for us.

St. Andre Bessette intercede for us.

May God Be Praised!

 

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment