Monday, August 10, 2020


In the Old Testament Job’s life became dreadful, who would want to live it?  At one time Job was happy, wealthy and righteous; he was living the dream and then the bottom fell out.

Job learned that, “Suffering can no longer be interpreted as it was in Deuteronomy, namely, as a direct punishment for sin ….”
Job dealt with a problem we all deal with, the problem of suffering.  There is no satisfactory answer to that question [this side of the grave].

Jesus came to give us Life in God and He gave us the Scriptures so we could deal with what is most important in life.  Job learned to: PRAY, SERVE and LOVE.  We need to learn the same lesson.

Jesus PRAYED, SERVED and LOVED. 

St. Paul reminds us that our entire life should be based on living the Gospel.  Healing connects us with our deepest center, the deepest part of our being.  “Ram Dass, an American spiritual teacher in the Hindu tradition who suffered a debilitating stroke in 1997, [distinguishes between a cure and a healing] … ‘While cures aim at returning our bodies to what they were in the past, healing uses what is present to move us more deeply to Soul Awareness ….’”    [Once Upon A Gospel, William Bausch, p.171]

Curing, healing, serving, praying and loving that is quite a load to take on, quite a challenge. 

This old prayer may help us: “I asked God for strength that I might achieve; I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health that I might do great things; I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy; I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men; I was given weakness that I might feel the need for God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life; I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing I asked for, But everything I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am, among all people, truly blessed.”  [Ibid., p.173]

Our FAITH is a great gift, often we fail to appreciate its grandeur, its awesome nature, its true wonder.

Take a few minutes today, in silence, think about how you might:
Pray more faithfully, Serve more frequently, Love more selflessly.
How you can be more thankful for the cures, BUT far more grateful for the healings?

May God Be Praised!

Join me and cry out from the depths of your heart to the Lord who hears us.  “Lord, listen to my prayer: turn your ear to my appeal.” [Psalm 143]

God, You are our refuge and our hope, we turn to you during this COVID 19 pandemic and plead for Your intercession.  In Your mercy and Your compassion “… grant eternal rest to the dead, comfort to mourners, healing to the sick ….” [Collect from Mass Time in Pandemic]

Provide strength to the first responders and medical personnel, and wisdom to government leaders.  End this coronavirus scourge.  Bring Your light to all who wander in the darkness of this pandemic and give each of us hope in Your eternal love today and every day.  Amen.  [Dcn. George Kelly]














1 comment:

  1. “Take a few minutes today, in silence, think about how you might:
    Pray more faithfully, Serve more frequently, Love more selflessly.
    How you can be more thankful for the cures, BUT far more grateful for the healings?“. Great stuff Dad! Love you

    ReplyDelete