Thursday, August 20, 2020

A Daily Dose of God



DeSales taught us that “The measure of love is to love without measure.”  Easy to say, very hard to live.  St. Paul shared this insight with us, “No longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me.”  We are called to be Saints - that is the goal of Christian life, and Saints are people who do ordinary, extraordinarily well.”  (St. Francis de Sales)

In fact, “There’s more to get thrilled about in the ordinary than the extraordinary.” We should live this wise insight, “Don’t waste your time trying to get people to love you. Instead, spend your time loving people & the other will follow.”
(Colors, p. 73, 78)

In Matthew’s Gospel (25: 31 – 46), Jesus tells us about our judgment criteria.
Jesus’ called you to “Live Jesus”, to be His disciple.  Think about poor St. Thomas, he got a bad rap!  Thomas is mentioned four times in the Scriptures.  He could be Courageous Thomas, Questioning Thomas or Believing Thomas.  But he has been labeled “Doubting Thomas”, maybe he got that label so, we have a saint to go too when we doubt, when we have reservations!

The way we live, our words, our actions, present Jesus to the world or cast “doubt” on Christianity.  Christianity is hard work, hard work filled with joy but hard work, nonetheless.

Josh Groban has a wonderful song,
“You raise me up…to more than I can be.”
When I am down & oh my soul, so weary.
When troubles come & my heart burdened be.
Then, I am still & wait here in the silence.
Until you come & sit a while with me.
You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains.
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas.
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders.
You raise me up…to more than I can be.

Take a few minutes and listen to this unique and beautiful rendition of You Raise Me Up by Matin Hurkins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RojlDwD07I


Beautiful song but remember that God raises us up to “BE ALL THAT WE CAN BE” – St. Francis de Sales taught us to “Be who you are & be that well.”  You are made in the image and likeness of God, share that with the world, the world needs it.

May God Be Praised!

 
Join me and cry out from the depths of your heart to the Lord who hears us. 

Hear my cry!  “Lord, listen to my prayer: turn your ear to my appeal.” [Psalm 143]
God, You are our refuge and our hope, we turn to you during this COVID 19 pandemic and plead for Your intercession.  In Your mercy and Your compassion “… grant eternal rest to the dead, comfort to mourners, healing to the sick ….” [Collect from Mass Time in Pandemic]

Provide strength to the first responders, compassion to the medical personnel, and wisdom to government leaders.  End this coronavirus scourge.  Bring Your light to all who wander in the darkness of this pandemic and give us hope in Your eternal love today and every day.  Amen.  [Dcn. George Kelly]




 




No comments:

Post a Comment