Wednesday, August 26, 2020

A Daily Dose of God








 





Some thoughts on trusting and living as a disciple of Jesus Christ every day and every moment.  Brother Lawrence wrote in the Practice in the Presence of God, Do what you do for God.  


St. Francis de Sales recommended that we Live Jesus, by that he meant when we dress put on Jesus, when we wash, wash in Jesus, when we smile, smile Jesus!


Here are two basic prayers offered to us by St. Francis de Sales, the Direction of Intention and My Day is Ending.


Direction of Intention:
“My God, I give you this day.  I offer you, now, all of the good that I shall do …
and I promise to accept, for love of you, all of the difficulty that I shall meet.
Help me to conduct myself during this day In a manner[most] pleasing to you.”

My Day is Ending:
Thank you for all the gifts of this day, for the place I spent it and for those with whom I spent it, for all its joys and all its sorrows, for the troubles overcome and for those that remain.  I offer you the silence of this night, its darkness and its solitude.  Whether you choose under the cover of this night to take away the problems of this day, or leave them for tomorrow, I will bless your name.  Thy will be done. Amen.        

The Celtic Spiritual Tradition of Following Jesus is based on Wisdom, and Wisdom in that Tradition is:
1.         knowledge of self
2.         compassion for others
3.         friendship with God

Friendship with God is grounded in Scripture, the Sacraments and in prayer (in particular, quiet time with the Lord).

If you saw the Movie Field of Dreams, you might remember this line, “If you build it, He will come”, build you house of prayer, listen carefully to this song about prayer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt_OkgSOrkU

“Let this be our prayer
When we lose our way
Lead us to a place
Guide us with your grace
To a place where we'll be safe”

May God Be Praised!


Join me and cry out from the depths of your heart to the Lord.  Hear my cry!  “Lord, listen to my prayer: turn your ear to my appeal.” [Psalm 143]   God, You are our refuge and our hope, I turn to you during this COVID 19 Pandemic and plead for Your intercession.  In Your mercy and Your compassion “… grant eternal rest to the dead, comfort to mourners, healing to the sick ….” [Collect from Mass Time in Pandemic]

Provide strength to the first responders, compassion to the medical personnel, and wisdom to government leaders.  End this coronavirus scourge.  Bring Your light to all who wander in the darkness of this pandemic and give us hope in Your eternal love today and every day.  Amen.  [Dcn. George Kelly]










1 comment: