Sunday, January 9, 2022

Blog Post - Homily Cycle C 1/09/2022

Homily Cycle C 1/09/2022

Readings: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/010922.cfm

We who are baptized in Jesus do not need to seek a new life, Jesus has gained it for us.   We are joined in His Dying and Rising at our Baptism.   

We need feed our spiritual life so it can grow stronger.  

 

Maybe this story can help us, Take My Good Name, “ … the French writer Henri Barbusse (1874-1935) tells of a conversation overheard in a trench full of wounded men during the First World War.  One of the man knew he only had minutes to live said another man, ‘Listen, Dominic, you've led a very bad life.  Everywhere you are wanted by the police.

But there are no convictions against me.  My name is clear, so, here, take my wallet, take my papers, my identity, take my good name, my life and quickly, hand me your papers that I may carry all your crimes away with me in death."

Jesus gave us something similar … when He came to save us, and offer us eternal life.  We were baptized into the life of the Risen Lord. [Adopted from Sermons.com - Billy D. Strayhorn, Come on in, the Water's Fine!]  

Today’s Scripture readings remind us to reflect on what is most important in the next life and then order our life here to that end.  The Baptism of the Lord is a fitting conclusion, a perfect bridge from the Christmas Season to Ordinary time.

In our first reading the prophet Isaiah tells us that the Messiah is the light for the nations.  Our Responsorial reminded us to “…give to the Lord glory and praise ….”  St. Peter declares to us that God “… shows no partiality.”  Therefore, we shouldn’t either.  And our Gospel celebrates the heavens opening up to proclaim Jesus is the one, the anointed of Israel, the messiah, the King, the beloved.

Beloved means staying with, accompanying someone on their journey.  Now that the Christmas Season is over how will we use this time to live in Hope, and in Joy shinning the Lord’s Gospel to our world, a world unnerved by many things.  If we follow the wrong star we will be navigating in darkness.

Charles Dickens wrote in A Tale of Two Cities, “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was a season of Light, it was a season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of darkness ….”

That sounds like a description of every age, certainly of our world today.  Maybe this prayer can help guide us.  “During our darkness of Winter and COVID help me to move beyond fear of the unknown.  Give me the courage to walk on fresh spiritual ground while firmly planted with Faith in You. Christ of the cosmos and beyond, I Trust You to be the calm that mutes the storms in me and around me. 

I believe that in the shadows of the night, You are with me.  My spirit thirsts for You and the music of heaven.  When the light of dawn appears may it consume my fears, and may your Grace of Hope, and Light shine through me.”  Amen.  [Dcn. George Kelly]

 

When we live that prayer, The Spirit of Jesus will be present in our world through our lives.  And our world needs the Light of Christ, please show live it.

 

Our Lady of Perpetual Help, pray for us.

St. Francis de Sales, pray for us.

May God Be Praised and your day be Blessed.

 

 


 





No comments:

Post a Comment