Friday, July 5, 2019





Today lets take a few minutes to reflect on Prayer.  Praying, which should be profoundly joyous & enriching; sometimes seems like a burden; something else I need to do!  Author Kelly Adkins wrote about Kevin, her 30 yr. old 6’ 2’’ brother in an article entitled, “God Lives Under the Bed



“I envy Kevin.  (He) thinks God lives under his bed.  At least that is what I heard him say one night.  He was praying out loud in his … bedroom, and I stopped to listen, ‘Are you there God?’ he said.
‘Where are you?  Oh, I see.  Under the bed ….’

(Kevin is) mentally disabled as a result of difficulties during labor.  Apart from being 6’ 2’’, there are few ways in which he is an adult. 
He reasons & communicates with the capabilities of a 7-year-old.
Up before dawn each day, off to work … home to walk our dog,
return for his favorite macaroni and cheese dinner and later bed.

The only variation in the entire scheme is laundry … twice a week he stays up late to gather dirty laundry for his next day’s chore.
And Saturday’s … my Dad takes him to the airport for a soft drink & to watch the planes land.

His life is simple.  He will never know the entanglements of wealth, power; he doesn’t care what brand of clothes he wears.  His heart is pure … he trusts God.

It is then I realize that perhaps he is not the one with the handicap. I am.  My obligations, my fear, my pride, my circumstances - they all become disabilities when I do not trust them to God’s care.

… And one day, when the mysteries of heaven are opened, & we are all amazed at how close God really is to our hearts, I’ll realize that God heard the simple prayers of a boy who believed that God lived under his bed.  Kevin won’t be surprised at all!  Prayer is one of the best free gifts we receive.  There is no cost, but a lot of rewards.”

Kevin knows how to pray and how to live.

In the book of Exodus Moses got help with his praying; there will be times when we will need help.  The psalmist prayed, “My help is from the Lord” and St. Paul advised Timothy, “Remain faithful to what you have learned and believed ….”

Jesus told his disciples (& He tells us) "… pray always without becoming weary.”  So we shouldn’t be surprised when we will need help, like Moses did.  We will need to TRUST God when we pray, TRUST God the way Kevin does.

Jesus tells us in Matthew’s Gospel (14:27), “Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid.”

St. Luke’s Gospel ends with an important question, “But when the Son of Man comes will He find faith on earth?”

Sometime today pray:

In the rising and the setting of the sun,
            I remember God.
In howling of the winter wind,
            I remember God.
In the blueness of the sky,
            I remember God.
In the rustling of leaves and in the beauty of autumn,
            I remember God.
When we are weary and in need of strength,
            I remember God.
When we come to the table of the Lord,
            I remember God.
When we leave the Eucharistic celebration,
            I remember God.
(Adaptation of a Jewish Prayer from the Rabbi Manual 1998)

After remembering God, join with the psalmist, “My heart is ready, O God.”



May God Be Praised!




No comments:

Post a Comment