Monday, July 15, 2019



Homily Cycle C 7-14-19 Who is my neighbor?
Frank Sinatra sang, “And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain
I've lived a life that's full
I've traveled each & every highway
But more, much more than this I did it my way.”

We are called to live Jesus’ Way, and what is Jesus’ Way?
In our 1st reading from Deuteronomy Moses said to the people, “For this command that I enjoin on you today is not too mysterious & remote for you….  No, it is something very near to you, already in your mouths & in your hearts;
you have only to carry it out.”

St. Paul tells us, “Christ Jesus is the image of the invisible God … in Him were created all things.”  Today’s we hear St. Luke Parable of the Good Samaritan.  Before we explore it let me share this story with you, The kind of player you can’t coach

A 7th grade girl ran track for her junior high team.  One of their Saturday track meets had to be rescheduled to the following Saturday.  She had signed-up to help with a community service project her church organized.

She told her coach who responded, “You can’t let your teammates down.  I expect you to be here for the meet.”

The next day she spoke to her coach again, he said, “You are either here for the meet or you can turn in your uniform.”  The following day after a sleepless night filled with tears, she handed in her uniform.  When asked about it she responded. “This is about God.”
[Adapted - Table Talk, Cycle C, p.148]

A difficult situation for anyone let alone a 7th grade student.  Was there a need for her to fulfill her commitment to the church service project?

Jesus asked the lawyer in today’s Gospel, “What is written in the law?”  The Samaritan helps a hated national enemy a Jew why, was written in the law?  No, the Samaritan helped because it was the right thing to do, to help someone in need when you are able!



Remember the Go Fund Me Scandal a few months ago, a homeless man gives his last $20 dollars to a woman motorist stranded so she can get some gas for her car.
People responded to the homeless man’s plight with great generosity, then they found out they were duped by scam artists.

It is not easy to follow Jesus, to live His Way, BUT it is the only way to be His Disciple.  “The Good Samaritan dwells in our midst in the selfless kindness & unheralded generosity of good people.” [Connections, 7/14/19, p.4]

When Jesus asked the lawyer the law, he responded love God and love my neighbor.

Maybe the neighbor who needs our help is on our southern border?  For a few moments, in silence, reflect on who is your neighbor?

May God Be Praised! 




No comments:

Post a Comment