Monday, August 16, 2021

A Mini Retreat with St. Teresa of Calcutta, a.k.a. Mother Teresa 8/16 TO 8/28, 2021

           

Over the next Ten days I will share with you some insights and some reflections on St. Teresa of Calcutta from the book, Come Be My Light: The Private Writings of the “Saint of Calcuttaedited and commentary by Brain Kolodiejchul, M.C.

 

My reflections are divided into three sections: Part one will use the Preface, the Introduction and Chapters 1 and 2, Part two will use Chapters 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 and Part three will use Chapters 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 along with the conclusion and retreat notes.

 

Mother Teresa once wrote these chilling words, “If I ever become a Saint – I will surely be one of ‘darkness.’  I will continually be absent from Heaven- to light the light of those in darkness on earth-.”

 

            A Mini Retreat with St. Teresa of Calcutta – Part One

 

Fr. Brian Kolodiejchul, M.C. edited and commented on The Private Writings of Mother Teresa in his book, Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light.

 

Preface and Introduction, “ Providentially, Mother Teresa’s spiritual directors preserved some of their correspondence …. The remarkable story of her intimate relationship with Jesus …. Mother Teresa’s confidence reveal previously unknown depths of holiness and may very well lead her to be ranked among the great mystics of the Church.” [Preface, p. ix]

 

“… The paradoxical and total unsuspected cost of her mission was that she herself would live in ‘terrible.’”  [Ibid. p.1]

 

Chapter One, “Put Your Hand in His Hand, and Walk Alone with Him”

“Her profound union with Jesus, the source of her spiritual and apostolic fecundity, was only shared with her confessors.”  [p.19]

 

Mother Teresa wrote to her spiritual director, “Do not think that my spiritual life is strewn with roses – that is the flower which I hardly ever find on my way.  Quite the contrary, I have more often as my companion ‘darkness.’  [p.20]  “Every Sunday I visit the poor in Calcutta’s slums.  I cannot help them, because I do not have anything, But I go to give them joy.”  [p. 27]

 

Reflection – How can so little bring such great Joy?

 

Joy was God’s gift to Mother Teresa, not earthly happiness, but heavenly Joy on earth.

 

Think about when your heart, soul and mind filled with God’s gift of Joy, that is peaceful and complete contentment?

 

 

“Tune my spirit to the music of heaven.”  St. Brendan the Navigator

St. Joseph pray for us.

St. Andre Bessette intercede for us. 

St. Francis de Sales pray for us. 

May God Be Praised. 

 

 

 

 

                        





No comments:

Post a Comment