Sunday, February 21, 2021

Homily Cycle B 2/21/2021 Offered by Dcn. George Kelly

 

When John moved into the neighborhood, he was the Only Protestant, everybody else was a Catholic.  On 1st Friday in Lent and he was outside grilling a juicy steak.  All the neighbors were eating, tuna, pizza, or tomato soup.

 

 

 

This went on each Friday in Lent; finally, the men got together and decided something had to be done – They couldn’t take the temptation any longer. 

So, they decided to try and convert John.  They talk to him, and he said yes. 

Immediately they took him to church where the Father sprinkled holy water on him and said, “You were born a Baptist, you were raised a Baptist, and now you are a Catholic.”

 

The men were relieved because their biggest Lenten temptation was gone.  When the next Lenten season rolled around, and the first Friday in Lent arrived - the men were astonished when at suppertime the smell of steak came from John’s back yard.

 

  

What’s was going on?  Maybe John had forgotten it was the 1st Friday in Lent. 

 

So, they went to go see John to talk to him.  Just as they arrived in John’s back yard, they saw John standing over his grill with a small pitcher of water.

He sprinkled some water over his steak, and they heard him say, “You were born a cow, you were raised a cow, and now you are a fish.”

 

Yogi Berra a great Yankee catcher from the last century, said “If you come to a fork in the road, take it.” (Sermons.com – 3/4/12)  Lent is a fork in our road BUT the road we chose is very important.  The road that each one of us should TAKE is the road to Sainthood!  Lent challenges each one of us to become better a person, by taking an honest look at ourselves and make the changes needed.

 

In the Book of Genesis, we heard that God put a rainbow in the sky as a sign of His promise, it was a sign of hope that God is with us.  St. Peter tells us that Jesus took our sins upon Himself, so He could lead us to God.  And St. Mark recounts Jesus praying in the desert for 40 days; Mark’s Gospel account is succinct.  But he indicates that Jesus was among wild beasts.

 

Today among our wild beasts are the COVID Pandemic, ongoing discrimination, violent protests, the killing of the innocent in and out of the womb, economic & climate crises, and on and on.  Pope Francis instructs us that Lent is an invitation to conversion; in biblical parlance – metanoia. 

 

 

Maybe this short reflection can help us:  

“I asked God to take away my [bad] habit.  God said, No.

It is not for me to take away, but for you to give it up.

 

I asked God to make my handicapped child whole.  God said No, his spirit is whole his body is only temporary.

 

I asked God to grant me patience.  God said, No. 

Patience is a byproduct of tribulations; it is learned.

 

I asked God to give me happiness.  God said, No. 

I give you blessings; Happiness is up to you.

 

I asked God to spare me pain.

God said, No. 

Suffering draws you apart from worldly cares and brings you closer to me.

 

I asked God to make my spirit grow. God said, No. 

You must grow on your own!  But I will prune you to make you fruitful.

 

I asked God for all things that I might enjoy life.  God said, No.

I will give you life, so that you enjoy all things.

 

I asked God to help me LOVE others as much as He loves me.

God said, Ahhh, finally you have the idea!

 

Let’s make the world a better by loving others as Jesus loves us!

(William J. Bausch, The Yellow Brick Road)

 

Take a few minutes to decide on what you will do this Lent to grow as a disciple of Jesus Christ.

 

May God Be Praised!

 

Saint Joseph, pray for us.

Saint Andre Bessette intercede for us.

May God Be Blessed!

 

 





No comments:

Post a Comment