Wednesday, May 20, 2020






COVID 19 Pandemic Prayer


Twenty years ago, today, I was blessed to be ordained a (permanent) deacon in the Catholic Church.  

 St. Teresa of Calcutta (a.k.a. Mother Teresa) said, “Many people mistake our work for our vocation.  Our vocation is the love of Jesus.”  My ordination was a public acknowledgement of my vocation of loving Jesus. 

During this Pandemic the advice of St. Francis de Sales is very important, “Do not look forward to the changes and chances of this life with fear; rather look upon them with strong hope that, as they arise, God, whose child you are, will deliver you from them.”  Certainly, my deaconate ordination celebration will be unusual because I will not be too able to assist at Mass and receive the Lord in the Eucharist.  Pray for me today and every day that I will live the Collect prayed at my ordination “O God, who have taught the ministers of your Church to seek not to be served but to serve their brothers and sisters, grant, we pray, that these your servants, whom you graciously choose today for the office of Deacon, may be effective in action, gentle in ministry, and constant in prayer….” 

Here are six promises I made that day.
Do you resolve to be consecrated for the Church’s ministry by the laying on of my hands and the gift of the Holy Spirit?
Do you resolve to discharge the Office of Deacon with humble charity in order to assist the priestly Order and to benefit the Christian people?
Do you resolve to hold fast to the mystery of faith with a clear conscience, as the Apostle urges, and to proclaim this faith in word and deed according to the Gospel and the Church’s tradition?
Do you resolve to keep forever this commitment to remain celibate as a sign of your dedication to Christ the Lord for the sake of the Kingdom of Heaven, in the service of God and man?
Do you resolve to maintain and deepen the spirit of prayer that is proper to your way of life and, in keeping with this spirit and what is required of you, to celebrate faithfully the Liturgy of the Hours with and for the People of God and indeed for the whole world?
Do you resolve to conform your way of life to the example of Christ, whose Body and Blood you are a minister at the altar?

I answered yes to them that day and with your prayers and God’s grace I will continue to answer yes to them each day of my life. 

St. Paul taught us that, “There is but one body and one Spirit, just as there is but one hope given all of you by your call.  There is one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is our all, and works through all, and is in all.” 
(St. Paul Letter to the Ephesians 4:3,4)

I thank God for my life of husband, father, deacon and servant and I thank you for your prayers and support.

May God Be Praised!







No comments:

Post a Comment