Sunday, May 12, 2019

Readings: http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/051219.cfm
                        Homily Cycle C 5-12-19
We celebrate Mother’s Day (today), a secular event recognizing the importance on Mothers and thanking them for the immense role they play in our lives.  I suggest that we offer our Communion and our prayers today for our Mother’s [living or deceased].







 Today’s Gospel is for Good Shepherd Sunday, Jesus tells us “My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me.”  That sounds easy, but it is very difficult.  I borrowed a book that had YBH several times in the margins.



What is YBH? - Yes, But How?  In the margins of your Bible next to today’s Gospel you could put YBH?  How can I hear God’s voice?



How can I follow it when I hear it?  How can I do what God wants me to do?  Hearing God’s Word requires quiet time.  Hearing God’s Word requires paying attention to our souls.

God speaks to us in different ways: His Word in Scripture, in a song, a movie, a book, a play, and social media or in some other form.  When God’s Word touches our soul we sense it.  It is soothes our soul, our mind, our being and calls us to goodness and holiness.  It touches us deep inside and we should listen to it.



Today the Lord may have spoken to you in our reading from the Acts of the Apostles, when the Lord commands us to be “… a light to the Gentiles.”  God may have spoken to you as we sang our Responsorial Psalm, “We are God’s people, the sheep of his flock.”  Maybe it was our reading in Revelation where we heard, “…God will wipe away every tear” that touched you deeply.  Maybe a line for the Gospel, although it was so short you may have missed it.  “The Father & I are one.”  “I give them eternal life ….”

My wife Joanne and I just returned from Atlanta, GA after a 10 day visit with our son Brian, daughter-in-law Laurie and their two children, Caiden John and Berkleigh.



Last Saturday we had the opportunity to witness two miracles.  The first miracle when the priest prayed the prayers of consecration and the bread and wine became Christ’s body and blood.  My grandson Caiden received his 1st Holy Communion, and I had the privilege of giving the host to him.   Caiden was able to offer up his Communion for his mother’s continued recovery.




The second miracle Caiden’s Mom, my daughter-in-law Laurie [you have been praying for her since July 4] was well enough to attend Caiden’s 1st Holy Communion.  Laurie is making great progress, but still needs your prayers, as does my son Brian, please continue to pray for them.  They are listening very intently to God’s voice, allowing God to guide their steps.

God’s voice calls us to live His Sermon on the Mount.  Living that Sermon today in our culture, in our world is anything but easy.



Our society urges us: more, more, more, self, self, self.  God’s voice leads us, His sheep in a different direction, others 1st, be kind, be faithful, and be not afraid to follow the Lord.



When we follow example of the Blessed Mother putting Jesus 1st in our hearts, 1st in our thoughts, 1st in our wills – when we follow our Blessed Mother and pray our way through life, we will hear God’s voice.  As we celebrate our mothers today, let’s not fail to imitate the Mother extraordinaire, Mary.



For a few minutes, in silence, reflect on how you can hear God’s voice and follow His voice more faithfully.

May God Be Praised!







No comments:

Post a Comment