Friday, May 10, 2019



Homily Cycle I - given at Our Lady of Perpetual Help School Mass, May 10, 2019 celebrating our annual May Procession.



It is a singular privilege for me to share some spiritual thoughts with you by way of my homily.  The parish I grew up in was Immaculate Conception in Levittown, Pa, where I was fortunate enough to have the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart who taught us, not only, our academic subjects, but also, taught us to love Jesus and to appreciate Mary’s unique role in Salvation history.  The Sisters taught us that Mary led a pray-filled life and that we should do the same.


This morning we celebrate the Blessed Mother, Mary Mother of Jesus and our Spiritual Mother.  Mary prayed throughout her life, she TRUSTED God even when she was confused, and she TRUSTED God when the angel told her Not To Be Afraid.  Our May Procession reminds us that all things are possible with God.

Last Saturday I had the privilege to witness two miracles, the first miracle the bread and wine became Christ’s body and blood at the consecration, my grandson Caiden received his 1st Holy Communion [I was able to give the host to him], and Caiden was able to offer up his Communion for his mother’s continued recovery.




The second miracle Caiden’s Mom, my daughter-in-law Laurie [you have been praying for her since July 4] was well enough to attend Caiden’s 1st Holy Communion.  Laurie is making great progress, but still needs your prayers, as does my son Brian, please continue to pray for them.

Remember Winnie the Pooh and Christopher Robin, “Holy Communion is Jesus’ way of saying as Christopher Robin once said to Pooh, ‘Forever isn’t long at all when I’m with you.’’ [America, “The Gospel according to Winnie the Pooh”, Terrance Klein, 4/24/19]

Jesus is with us in the Eucharist and in His Word, maybe forever isn’t that long after all.

May God Be Praised!



























No comments:

Post a Comment