Monday, February 25, 2019






Homily Cycle C 2/24/19  




Readings 2/24/19: http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/022419.cfm                                          

A young bagpiper was asked by a funeral director to play at a graveside service for a homeless man with no family or friends.  The funeral was to be held at a cemetery way back in the country, and this man would be the first to be laid to rest there.

The bagpiper was not familiar with the backwoods area and became lost; and, being a typical man, he did not stop for directions, didn’t use his G.P.S., and finally arrived an hour late.  He saw the backhoe; the crew was eating lunch, but the hearse was nowhere in sight.  He apologized to the workers for being late and stepped to the side of the open grave, where he saw the vault lid already in place.

He assured the workers he wouldn’t be to long, but this was the proper thing to do.
 The workers gathered around, while still eating their lunch. The bagpiper played with his whole heart and soul.  And as he played, the workers began to weep.  He played: “How Great Thou Art”, “The Lord Is My Shepherd”, “He Looked Beyond My Fault” and he closed with “Amazing Grace.”  

Then he walked to his car and as he opened his car door, he heard one of the workers say, "Holy Moses, I never seen anything like that before – and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years."  [Story - The Bagpiper]

I share that with you because today’s readings ask us to look at life differently.  Today’s scripture readings challenge us to look at how we live as disciples of Jesus. 

We heard about David’s restraint regarding Saul & we marvel at it.  David chose mercy over justice.  St. Paul reminds us that through our Baptism we bear the “image of the heavenly one” – of God! 

In today’s Gospel Jesus continues His teaching on the last week’s Gospel – Beatitudes.  He commands us, “Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,” that seems unrealistic and impossible.

Jesus urges us to be “non-violent”, but He does not say allow people to walk all over you.  Instead Jesus wants us to find ways to assert our dignity as God’s children in non-violent ways.



This example might help us, before Apartheid ended in South Africa Archbishop Desmond Tutu was walking down the sidewalk when an Afrikaner policeman yelled at him, “I don’t share the sidewalk with pigs”, Tutu responded “Neither do I” and he stepped into the street and walked around the policemen.



Please bear with me for a few minutes and follow this unusual request –

kneel down and pray with me a Litany of Forgiveness.  It will help us reflect on living today’s Gospel message. 



You Response is “Father, forgive them.”

For those who have betrayed us R. “Father, forgive them.”

For those who have let us down R. “Father, forgive them.”

For those who have crippled our lives R. “Father, forgive them.”

For those who have accused us R. “Father, forgive them.”

For those who have hurt us R. “Father, forgive them.”


Your Response is “Father, forgive me.”

For my times of distrust R. “Father, forgive me.”

For my disbelief in your love R. “Father, forgive me.”

For my searching everywhere but in Your heart R. “Father, forgive me.”

For my own unforgiving actions R. “Father, forgive me.”

For my unbelief in Your forgiveness R. “Father, forgive me.”

(Adopted from William Bausch, A World of Stories)



Jesus challenges us to be our “best selves” to be like Him, take a few minutes today to reflect on your discipleship.



May God Be Praised!




No comments:

Post a Comment