Sunday, July 18, 2021

Homily Cycle B 07-18-2021 at Our Lady of Perpetual Help

Readings: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/071821.cfm

In our Gospel today, Jesus says to His Apostles, “Come away … rest a while.”  Jesus invites His apostles & us to rest, which is really an invitation to be aware of God’s presence in our lives or to become more aware of God’s profound presence. 

In our first reading Jeremiah laments the lack of leadership in his community. Leadership has many elements, such as: trust, a clear message, selflessness, compassion, empathy, [this one might surprise you rest].  Jesus’ invitation is a symbol for learning to be fed by God.

Maybe this story can help us,  “Every day needs hopscotch moment …”

Every so often, a television commercial makes a mark on our souls over & above its sale pitch …. [A recent commercial] … for Kohl’s department stores is just such a spot.  

Have you’ve seen this charming little moment: A little girl is drawing with chalk on her front walk when a delivery man walks by, juggling boxes …. he’s having a bad day and just glares at her.  His grumpiness gives her an idea.

She takes her chalk and draws a hopscotch grid on the sidewalk in front of her house….  As she watches, everyone who passes by — teenagers, a woman jogging, a senior couple — stops to play the game, cheering and waving at her when they successfully dance their way through her design.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlrg98O9Qgg

Then the grumpy delivery man reappears.  He stops and scowls at the hopscotch challenge in front of him….  looks at the young artist, and to her surprise, he smartly jumps through the grid…. then walks away with a sly smile.  Adding to the charm of the moment is jazz musician Jon Batiste plays and sings “The Sunny Side of the Street.”

A little girl’s hopscotch challenge becomes the deserted place, the resting place envisioned by Jesus in today’s Gospel.  The Rest or Deserted place Jesus recommends to us can be as simple as a few minutes taken to stop and acknowledge or realize God’s presence in our life. 

A few, minutes, to offer thanks to God for the graces we receive in the love of family and friends.  We need ‘deserted’ places, 'hopscotch’ moments … to recognize in the quiet of our hearts God’s presence in our lives….  [Adopted from Connections, July 18, 2021]

Join me now close your eyes, open your hearts, your minds, and listen to these Words.

“The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.  In verdant pastures he gives me repose; beside restful waters he leads me; 
he refreshes my soul.

He guides me in right paths for His name's sake. 

Even though I walk in the dark valley 
I fear no evil; for you are at my side       with your rod and your staff 
that give me courage. 
 You spread the table before me 
in the sight of my foes; 
you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD 
for years to come.” 


You and I are the BELOVED of God.

Spend a few minutes [now] reflecting on the “Hopscotch” moments in your life, then take time to thank God for loving you enough to send you “Hopscotch Moments.”

St. Joseph pray for us. 

St. Francis de Sales pray for us. 

May God Be Praised! 





No comments:

Post a Comment