Thursday, September 20, 2018


Homily Cycle B – 9-16-18
When George H.W. Bush when he was president “…was doing his public relations thing by visiting a nursing home.  He came upon [an]…old man hobbling down the corridor.
President Bush took the man by the hand and said, ‘Sir, do you know who I am?’  The man replied, ‘No, but if you ask one of the nurses, she’ll tell you.” (Bausch, The Best of Bausch “Real Presence”).

Today Jesus asks His Apostles, “Who do you say that I am?”
Today Jesus asks us, “Who do you say that I am?”
The answer to that question is the most fundamental & important question we will ever answer.

Isaiah tells us that “… God is my [our] help ….”  St. James reminds us that faith & good works go hand in hand.
The Gospel emphasizes two principals:
1.     Who Jesus is!
2.     Following Jesus, Son of God, Lord & Redeemer means hardship, the cross & salvation.  
C.S. Lewis wrote, “I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God.
That is the one thing we must not say.
A man who was merely a man & said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher…. Either this man was, & is, the Son of God, or else a madman….  He has not left that open to us.  He did not intend to.”  [“Mere Christianity”]
We must choose & act on our choice regarding Jesus.  We profess in our CREED that Jesus is true God & true man.  That CREED should guide every decision we make.  Peter professes Jesus as the Messiah, the Son of God, BUT Peter decides to tell Jesus – How to be Jesus!  The Lord tells Peter that there is no easy way, following Him [Jesus] includes: hardship, the cross & the way to salvation.
Many of you already know that my son Brian’s wife Laurie suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm on July 4th of this year.  An unexpected cross thrust on them like, Simon of Cyrene.  She is in rehab - coming our of her coma & has begun communicating.
This past Friday Laurie saw their two children [ages: 7 & 4], for the first time since July 4.  My son Brain lifted Caiden John age 7 up so could kiss his Mom on the cheek and then did the same with Berkleigh.  It was an emotional and poignant moment. Brian has been carrying this cross with uncommon grace and your prayers [as well as many others] have supported him on his journey.
His little Calvary walk is filled with HOPE for Laurie & her full recovery, which will happen.  His posts on caringbridge.org are inspiring many & helping him cope.
In one post recently he wrote “I came across a quote from Albert Einstein … ‘There are two ways you can live, you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as everything is a miracle’. 
Prior to July 4th I didn’t live as is everything was a miracle, but I also didn’t live as though nothing were a miracle either.  I guess I fell somewhere in between.  My views have changed so much since then, & I appreciate everything so much more…. 
My suggestion to you is to live in the moment, it’s hard to do, but if you learn how to do that, you can appreciate miracles.

In Happy Moments Praise God
In Difficult Momnets Seek God
In Quite Moments Worship God
In Painful Moments Trust God
Every Moment Thank God. 


[Brian Kelly, CaringBridge.org]

Today Jesus asks us “Who do you say that I am?”
Your answer will guide how you live, for a few minutes reflect on your answer!
May God Be Praised!





No comments:

Post a Comment