Sunday, April 7, 2019


Homily Cycle I 4-06-19                                   
In a 2013 Interview with Pope Francis, the 1st question asked was who is Jorge Mario Bergoglio?  “I am a sinner whose been looked upon by the gaze of Christ!”    


That is the real essence of Lent, Jeremiah “… to you Lord I have entrusted my cause!”


In today’s Gospel Nicodemus asks for fairness under the law?  He is soundly rebuked.  Then, “Each went to his own house.”
You and I are called to God’s house, the Church; with its sins and its Sacraments.  That is where our spiritual food exists.

Let me share this short poem with you [from my homily this weekend]:

"How I wish that there was some wonderful place
Called the Land of Beginning Again,
Where all our mistakes and all out heartaches
And all our poor selfish grief
Could be dropped like a shabby old coat at the door,
And never put on again."      [Barclay Commentary John 8:1-11]

 

That is really the essential message of Lent, having the courage to enter the “ Land of Beginning Again”.  The Land of Christ’s gaze, where He looks for us; like the father of the Prodigal Son, looking, hoping, praying.
Return to the Lord with all your heart.



May God Be Praised!








No comments:

Post a Comment