Saturday, June 3, 2023

Blog Post Homily Cycle I 6/03/2023 – Offered at OLPH

Homily Cycle I Offered at OLPH - 6/03/2023

Readings: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/060323.cfm

 

In our reading from the Book of Sirach we heard, “I thank the Lord and I praise him; I bless the name of the Lord…. I sought wisdom ….”  If an angel of the Lord visited you and said God will give you whatever you want, what would you ask of the Lord?

Solomon asked for wisdom, yet the question remains what would you ask the Lord to give you?  Our Gospel verse this morning calls us to “Let the Word of Christ dwell in [us] richly….”  Would you ask for that gift if you had the opportunity?

In the Gospel Jesus didn’t answer chief priests, the scribes and the elders.  They knew the correct answer and didn’t want to accept The Word.

There is a story told about Sir. Christopher Wren.  As St. Paul’s Cathedral was being built, he was walking through Cathedral, and he came upon two stone cutters.  He ask them what they were doing, one said, “I am cutting stone.”  The other said, “ I am building a Cathedral.”


When the Lord asks us what we want, maybe we should ask Him to carve away our stony hearts and give us a heart like His.  Then we will have the Wisdom of Solomon, our soul will have the Beauty of a great Cathedral and the Lord’s Light will shine through us.

 

May God Be Praised.    

 





No comments:

Post a Comment